I have worked professionally with companion animals my entire working life and learned so much along the way thanks to Brutus, my very first dog. Brutus introduced me to the highs and lows of being a puppy parent. Looking back, I should have done better by him. However, this was 1974; I was young, I had no idea what I was doing and as a result made every mistake in the book. I told people he was a free spirit, but truth be told he was a naughty but nice dog and remained that way to the day he died at 14 years of age.
To promote and enhance human-companion animal relationships built on mutual trust and understanding using methods that are effective and humane. If your animal is misbehaving or their behaviour doesn’t make sense to you, pick up the phone and call for help.
Areas of Specialism
I have a particular interest in the prevention and treatment of separation anxiety and sound phobias in dogs. My previous pet dog, Tarn, suffered both these conditions so, believe me, I understand what it feels like to be a hostage in your own home and how distressing it is to see your pet so scared and panicked. I also have a particular interest in the development and function of relationships across species in multi-pet households.
Qualifications & Associations
- MSc in Companion Animal Behaviour Counselling (CABC) from the University of Southampton
- Registered Clinical Animal Behaviourist & Animal Training Instructor with the Animal Behaviour & Training Council (the regulatory body that represents trainers & behaviourists to both the public & to legislative bodies).
- An ASAB Certificated Clinical Animal Behaviourist
- Full member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors
- Certified Training Partner with the world-renowned Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training and Behaviour https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/.
- A long and rewarding career as a dog trainer with the Guide Dogs for the Blind; preparing dogs to work as guides and teaching people to become trainers.
- Working as a volunteer trainer with Canine Partners and DogAid, both registered Assistance Dog (ADUK) registered organisations.
- Behaviour consultant for West Hatch RSPCA Rehoming Centre
- External behavioural specialist for City Vets Referral Practice in Exeter
- Teaching Equine Assisted Therapy to young adults with learning and behavioural challenges at The Fortune Centre of Riding Therapy (FCRT).